Sanzen-in was established during the early Heian Period by Saicho. Its location was moved to the current one in 1871. The name, Sanzen-In, has been used since 1871. It was called, among many, Kajii-Gosho/梶井御所, etc. In this composition, William had introduced the flowing downward spiral movement of the yellowing leaves of the maple tree in the foreground showing the fleeting moments contrasting with the sense of eternal silence conveyed by the bluish Jizo-Bosatsu in the background.