This temple originally was built at the different location. It was burned during the Onin War /応仁乱, but it was rebuilt in 1662 at the current location. The pond within the premise was built in the shape of the kanji character for “water/水.” This was one of William’s favorite temples in Kyoto. The permission to take the photos was difficult to obtain due to his large view camera needed to be on the tripod and the entire weight could damage the tatami mats. Eventually we were permitted to take the picture but given only an hour.