Sanzen-in was established during the early Heian Period by Saicho. Its location was moved to the current one in 1871. The name, Sanzen-In, has been used since 1871. It was called, among many, Kajii-Gosho/梶井御所, etc. While the color of the leaves of the tree in the foreground is striking, the diagonal line of the walkway enables the viewers eyes to travel towards the back ground without any obstruction, enabling us to sense the depth.